We care very much for the environment, which is why we have built our cottages to be energy efficient as possible, and become members of the Green Business Tourism Scheme. You can read more about our commitments here.
Whilst staying with us there are a number of places to visit and things to do that will have a lower impact on the environment.
Without using your car
The Harbour Cottages are right on Ballantrae Beach, with over a mile of beach to the mouth of the River Stinchar to the South, and two miles of deserted beach to the North. Perfect for long dog walks. Dogs are allowed on the beach all year round.
The River Cottages are a short stroll from a beautiful river bank path which runs for a kilometre along the river below the cottages. The beach is within easy walking distance less than one mile along the lane and through the village. From the Harbour Cottages you will find the river path at the South end of the village on the left as you approach the bridge over the River Stinchar.
- Local convenience store with a broad selection of groceries.
The Kings Arms, Ballantrae
- A friendly pub with good food, the best place to eat out nearby and within walking distance of the cottages.
- See www.kingsarmsballantrae.com or call 01465 831 202.
Craigiemains Garden Centre, Ballantrae
- There is a very good café in the garden centre situated right on the sea front.
- Call 01465 831 052.
Local Shops & Producers of Food & Drink
Dowhill Country Fayre – approx 16 miles from Ballantrae
- Farm shop with local produce and a good café.
- Call 01655 331 957.
Burns Country Smokehouse – approx 28 miles from Ballantrae
- Stocking their own produce and with a café on site.
- See www.burnsmoke.com or call 01292 442 773.
Dalduff – approx 27 miles from Ballantrae
- Our farm supplies some lamb to this shop and you will find excellent quality meats here,
- See www.dalduff.co.uk or call 01655 740 271.
The Whisky Experience, Kirkoswald – approx 20 miles from Ballantrae
- Experience whisky with the experts at one of their tasting events.
- Call 01655 885 756.
Local Members of the Green Tourism Business Scheme
Culzean Castle and Country Park – approx 23 miles from Ballantrae
- Situated in the midst of a 600-acre estate is one of Scotland’s greatest castles. Widely considered to be one of Robert Adam’s final masterpieces it has been restored to its former glory and makes a fantastic day out.
- See www.culzeanexperience.org for more details. Open daily from April-October and open weekends in other months.
Crossraguel Abbey – approx 27 miles from Ballantrae
- Founded by the Earl of Carrick in the 13th century the remains include the church, cloister, chapter house and domestic buildings.
- See crossraguel for more details. Open April-October.
Glenluce Abbey – approx 25 miles from Ballantrae
- Founded in 1192 in this secluded valley you can see why the Cisterian monks settled here. A peaceful location with well-preserved fragments of this former Abbey.
- See glenluceabbey for more details. Open April-October.