Ballantrae sits at the mouth of the River Stinchar, one of the most famous salmon rivers on the west coast of Scotland. Whatever your preference the numerous rivers, lochs and of course the beautiful coast will be sure to provide you with plenty an opportunity.
Fishing on the River Stinchar is quite difficult to get and the main beats and best times are booked for years in advance. However you might be able to get a day ticket from one of these beats on the River:
- Ballantrae Beat – may be available by prior arrangement from May to July, fly fishing only – call 01465 831 418 for more details.
- Kirkholm Beat – just upstream from Ballantrae, day tickets available – call 01465 831 297 for more details.
- Knockdolian Beat – Knockdolian Estate, strictly fly – call 01465 881 237 for more details.
- Bardrochat Beat – upstream from Colmonell on the left bank, day tickets available – call 07880 602 922 for more details.
- Dalreoch Beat – between Pinwherry and Colmonell, day tickets available – call 07880 602 922 for more details.
- Almont Beat – at Almont Farm, Pinwherry, day tickets available – call 07880 602 922 for more details.
- Hallowchapel Beat – at the confluence of the Duisk and the Stinchar at Pinwherry, day tickets available – call 01465 831 277 for more details.
More information about the River Stinchar can be found at www.stincharfishing.co.uk
The other main rivers in the area are the River Girvan and the River Doon, there is also some great fishing on the rivers in Dumfries & Galloway such as the River Luce and the River Bladnoch. You can see www.visitscotland.com/fish for more details.
Alternatively you can try the Carrick Angling Club, this is run by volunteers and the club carry out bank maintenance and burn clearances to help let the migratory fish get a fresh run to their spawning beds. You can purchase a day ticket from The Ultimate Angler in Girvan, alternatively see www.carrickanglingclub.co.uk or call 01465 712 007 for more details.
A good day out can be had at Pinbraid Fishery – it is good for children learning as they are more than likely to catch something! See www.pinbraidfishery.co.uk or call 07810 778 534 to arrange tuition.
From the shoreline or from a boat, sea fishing is relatively free from restriction and cost – except for the normal rules of conduct and the hire of a boat. For a fun fishing trip in and around Ailsa Craig see www.ailsacraig.org.uk or call 01465 713 219 for more details.
Ayrshire is home to many lochs and reservoirs, the closest is Pinbraid Fishery which is not far from Girvan. More details can be found at www.stincharvalley.co.uk or call 01465 891 112. A little further afield is the Newton Stewart Angling Association on Loch Dee, see www.nsaa.org.uk for more details.